Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rex Steele: Nazi Smasher!


A pinup I did awhile back for Bill Presing and Matt Peters' "Rex Steele: Nazi Smasher" graphic novel. I was thrilled to do it, as I admire their work and I'm hugely indebted to both those guys: they basically taught me animation character construction on the fly, when they were at Jumbo Pictures and someone who wasn't paying attention hired me to work on the "Disney's Doug" childrens' books. Thanks to them I went on to fuck up the character designs of many, many animated cartoon shows. Matt and Bill absolutely rule.

"Rex" is one of those strips that manages to be hilariously over-the-top while being played completely straight, and I tried to come up with a funny twist on the premise. The gag is that Rex's evil Nazi nemesis has secretly taken a Bettie Page-style stag reel of Rex's pure-hearted sidekick in the vile clutches of the femme fatale, and Rex is all too happy to kick back and watch it over beers. It probably makes no sense in the explanation, but the guys seemed to get a kick out of it.

Rex was eventually turned into an awesome short animated film by director Alex Woo:

No comments: