Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pike Street Brewery

Sketches from an afternoon at the Market in Seattle back in August. That was the weirdest afternoon, and by weird I mean insanely great.

Often, drawing on the street is an exercise in frustration at where my abilities are at and how far I have to go. That afternoon though, something clicked in my head. Something about focusing that hard made the experience start to take on a life of its own. I remember walking down the street afterward and almost feeling like my consciousness had been altered, like the way people sometimes describe being on hallucinogens. The world had become hyper-real and I wanted to draw everything and everyone. Everyone I passed on the street, interesting details of their facial features were jumping out at me. Everything mundane suddenly looked miraculous and I had an all-too-brief experience of the wonder of creation. I know it sounds weird and cornball, but it was actually how I felt.

I mean, I'm not ruling out that it could have been all that Belgian draft kicking in, but still, pretty sweet.



No comments: