Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Woodcut Style

This was a sample illustration done in an attempt to land a TV gig. If I'd gotten it I would have done a series of these which would have been used in a documentary. I was told that the producers liked my sample, but for whatever reason the job went to someone else.

Boy did I enjoy doing the sample though. They asked for an 18th Century woodcut style and gave me not much else in the way of direction, so I immersed myself in the work of Gustave Dore and just went for it. (BTW where has Dore been all my life. He makes every comic artist I ever admired look like a total pussy.)

The upshot is that I was able to use this as a sample for a t-shirt illustration job that looks like it is going to happen, so it wasn't all in vain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy WOW. That's friggin' awesome. I'm sorry to read about the lost opportunity, but I'll buy this on a t-shirt when it's available. Yer damn skippy.

This is a beautiful piece of art, Kevin.


ant'ny (fanboy)

Don Hudson said...

Nice and Creepy!

Joan Crawford said...

This is awesome. I want this! The part I find most creepy is the two fingers held up. You have real skill. A cool idea, well executed - man, to be able to draw, really draw.

Kevie said...

Joan: That's funny, I was just on your blog the other day thinking, "Man, to be able to really pace a joke." ;)