I spent a bunch of time in the last several weeks re-doing my portfolio website. I couldn't stand to live with the old design for a second longer, so I finally took off the training wheels, scrapped the template and rebuilt it from scratch.
Of course, now that I look at them side-by-side in these screen grabs, they don't really look all that different to me! But I think I cleaned up the navigation a bit more and made it 'flow' better. Laying out a website is surprisingly similar to laying out a comic book page, in terms of guiding the reader's eye, design hierarchy, stuff like that.
I always struggle with how to organize my samples, because my styles go all over the road. This time around I figured I should concentrate on my core business, which is storyboards. But I might end up grouping the work into five or six categories just to make some sense of it. I've completely eliminated the sections on animation design and illustration (why further complicate the situation). I may eventually create a new section for that stuff, or just put it on another site altogether. I'm toying with maybe doing the illustrator's branding trick of working in multiple aliases, so as not to confuse any potential clients.
Eventually the new site will contain a wordpress blog that only focuses on professional case studies. When I rebooted this blog I made a rule not to rely on posting freelance stuff. Only to eventually decide that I need to commit to a whole other blog devoted to that.
I also started a wordpress blog to group the stuff I do here that specifically references movies, comics and other fanboy stuff. Since Star Wars will always sit at the apex of my geek universe, I gave it a SW-related title: "Wookie Please". Which is meant to evoke both my cynical contempt for stuff like the Star Wars prequils, and my hopeless devotion to Star Wars in general. Since the "Lost" project is ongoing right now, that's probably all that will be going up there in the near future.