Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Get Your Bauer On

I've been catching up on some old 24 DVD's, and I thought it would be fun to do some sketches of Keifer Sutherland. Turns out it wasn't. I did a billion of these and I'm really frustrated with my efforts. I got so depressed about it I didn't post at all for several days. Finally I decided to just put up the least embarrassing ones so I could move on to something else. I'm doing this blog as a learning experience, so perhaps there is value in posting my failures as well as the stuff I'm okay with.







Random thought on watching Season 5 of 24: It seems that in the closing hours of the season they're starting to drop suggestions that Jack Bauer could permanently "go upriver" at some point. I don't know what happens in the next two seasons, but I think it would be fascinating if the dude started to really lose it. 

The character has always been about having to do the wrong thing for the right reasons, but we see him at least once do something really wrong for pure revenge. Jack Bauer's answer to everything is always to bend or break the rules and let the chips fall where they may, and he's invariably proven right. But it would be so easy for that tendency toward expediency, toward street justice, to become the dominant aspect of his personality. Particularly after all the shock and trauma he's put himself through over the years, his finer judgement could just start to go. We know all too well that the guy's never going to hang it up and retire to a quiet life in the suburbs, but it would be very interesting to explore the possibility that things could end really bad for him.

No comments: